Tuesday, January 19, 2010

NEW LIFE

Back to my Costa Rica trip because I told you guys that I would share...

So one of the highlights of the entire trip was my final walk on the beach of the final morning of my vacation. In the area we were staying, a few miles of beaches were strung together by a path that went up through the jungle. There would be a section of beach, then the jungle, then beach, then up over a huge cliff through the jungle, etc, and this walk pretty much took about an hour there and back. The morning was beautiful, the sun was shining, the surfers were out doing their thing, and it was one of those bittersweet moments; I am excited to go home but sad to leave paradise and my friends. I set an intention for this hike and I wanted to make it about creating the next section of my life. So as I am walking, I am taking it all in; the sights, the smells, the sounds, the feelings, all of it. I am in an deep meditative mode when all of a sudden I come across this group of three people that are intently watching something on the beach. As I get closer, I realize that it is a baby sea turtle that had just hatched and is making its way towards the sea. So I sat with the group and watched him. It turns out that he is the first of a large group of turtles that the locals are expecting to hatch in about 3 days, at the full moon. So this little guy, a few days ahead of the rest of the pack, is flopping his feet and making his way with one destination in mind, to the ocean. When he has finally reached an area that the waves will reach out and take him from there, there was an incredible feeling inside my being. Have you ever witnessed a birth of a child? That pure, love feeling that happens in that moment when the child enters this world? Do you know what I am talking about? It is a recognition of the divine perfection of everything in this universe. This little turtle, without any map or directions from any parents, used all the strength he could muster up to head out and create a life for himself. It truly was magical. So to say this moment of witnessing the divine perfection of the universe was a highlight of the vacation is really an understatement. It is actually one of the highlights in my life so far...

1 comment:

Gerri said...

Glad you had an amazing time. We all should do that for ourselves as often as we can!