Thursday, August 4, 2011

TRY SOMETHING NEW

It was just over a week ago that i brought a friend to yoga class with me. He had never done yoga and going to the studio for the first time can create a little bit of anxiety not knowing what to expect. The class was amazing as usual and he did great. At the end of the evening I told him I was glad he was game for attending that class...and his response "I am up for just about anything as long as it doesn't leave a permanent scar, I don't have to get a tetanus shot and it doesn't ruin my credit".

Initially I laughed pretty hard...but since then I have been pondering how much power is behind those simple words. Life is all about having experiences, relating to others and learning...and that particular statement is all encompassing. How many times have you found yourself bowing out of something because "Its too cold", "Its too hot", "Its too hard", "Its too early", "Its too uncomfortable", "I don't have time", "I'm too tired", "I'm not strong enough", "I have too much to do". We make those excuses time after time and we watch life fly by and really miss out on some pretty great things.

I do my best to life my life in a way that puts me in places to have rich, rewarding experiences. Sometimes it is intimidating to enter into some of those situations I have no idea about and do something for the first time. Generally I have found that the more nervous I am about something, the more amazing I feel when I am finished. So instead of placing too many restrictions and being a fair-weather participant...how about creating a couple simple restrictions of your own, or adopting those three simple ones...doesn't leave a permanent scar, no tetanus shot and doesn't ruin your credit. Life becomes really, really exciting when you live like that and you will find yourself doing things you never even knew were on the menu...at least that is what I have found so far. We only get one chance...let's make it to the end with no regrets!

No comments: