Wednesday, August 10, 2011

PEACE IS A PROCESS

This morning I woke up in such a profound state of peace. There are a lot of things in life that seem to be coming together like pieces in a puzzle. When I am not busy trying to make things happen (which I have spent a good portion of the past few years doing), I am able to really sit back and be completely present and drink in each and every second. That happened in an amazing way last night.

It started with a run...almost 5 miles with great company. Because of my challenged heart, I have never been able to enjoy running with other people. My body can only carry so much oxygen and I can only breathe so hard, so to run with someone was almost too stressful. I would find myself worried about not going fast enough and possibly taking away from someone else's experience. For as long as I have been running, I have only ever had company maybe 5 times...until the past couple weeks. It is nice to have someone to chat with, catch up with and spend the time with and the run goes by so quickly and with so much ease. It is still difficult to breathe at points but I just keep pushing, and maybe even push a little harder than I would on my own, and in the long run (no pun intended) I am sure it will help me to progress as an athlete.

This particular running buddy has an office in what used to be a yoga studio. It is set up pretty much the way it was when classes were happening there and the space has some seriously good mojo. It is an older building with those beautiful old wood floors, high ceilings and the room feels really open and free. It calls out for you to do yoga or dance when you are in there...and so I had my own private yoga studio, perfect lighting and Coffee House on the radio. There were intense moments of asana practice followed by rest and melting into that wood floor. It was peaceful and comfortable and healing and I seriously could have slept there after the run and yoga session. It was a peaceful drive home, a great night's sleep and a fullness in my heart this morning in a way like I just filled up the gas tank in my car.

So I am going to ride that wave for the rest of this week. Peace is a process and it is something that I work on/strive for on a daily basis. With all the reading, studying, yoga, working out, journaling, practicing that I do, I have come to a place where peace is possible. It is fleeting at times and sticks around at other times. Last night was a culmination of all the right pieces fitting together in just the right places to make all this work worth it.

I truly hope there are moments that you find yourself in that state as well. This may require that you chisel out some time for yourself, dissect out some poisonous people from your life, excavate some bad habits, cultivate some health-ful daily practices and find an amazing running buddy with a cool office like I did:) Start doing what you need to do in order to live your life fully...we only get once chance.


No comments: