Monday, July 6, 2009

A REAL TRIBUTE


As many of you know, I spent the last 6 days in Colorado, one of my most favorite places on the planet. I was fortunate to be able to spend a couple days this time around in Aspen. If you have never been to Colorado, you need to take the time to get there, and while you are there, make the drive to Aspen. It is so beautiful, wonderful and amazing there. The crowd is super down to earth the shops and restaurants have something for everyone (a special shout out to the restaurant "Wild Fig", a restaurant not to miss). Anyways the plan was to stay just Friday and head back to the ranch where I was staying 2.5 hours from there. The plan didn't quite work out that way and we spent the night and woke up there on Saturday, of course, the Fourth of July. We had a plan to head out early in the morning but if there is a parade happening, I want to watch it. We at an amazing breakfast at "Lu Lu" (yet another not to miss spot) and the wandered down the street to find a place amongst the thousands of people lining the streets to watch the parade. The Air Force Academy is about a 4 hour drive from Aspen though probably a 15 minute flight by fighter jet and so there was a fly-by to start the parade. Then right at noon 75+ motorcycles start the parade, some fast, some slow, some young, some old, some cruisers, some street bikes, some motorcross, some trick riders, amazing and wild energy to kick it off. The next group in the parade were the Veterans. There was about 50 or so and each carrying a sign for the war that they were in. Some walking, some in wheel chairs, some on golf carts, some old, some young, some missing body parts, some sad, some happy, but all were very inspirational and what a tribute. I have seen Veterans in many parades before, but something about the signs they were carrying that made it different. After the race of motorcycles through the streets and then the Veterans, I have to say that I was joined by many in the crowd that welled-up with tears of appreciation and gratitude for those who served and currently serve. We are truly a blessed nation, we have freedoms that many in this world cannot even fathom. As we all celebrated over this past weekend with friends, family, food and fireworks, I hope something along the way inspired gratitude in your being. As the parade continued in Aspen, it was entertaining, and energetic, and fun however nothing could have possibly been more touching than that type of beginning and it will forever been a super fond memory for me. HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMERICA!!!!
(the picture is me standing amongst one of the largest Aspen groves I have ever seen. It is along the road from Independence Pass down into the city of Aspen. Unfortunately the battery on my camera died so I don't have any pictures of the parade, though maybe I should try to google it...)

No comments: