Sunday, February 1, 2009

THERE ARE JUST CERTAIN PEOPLE




There are certain people in life that we come across and they are so familiar it seems you may have know them your entire life but maybe just met. Lana is that person to me. Her and I met a couple years back at week-long, life-transforming, seminar. We never really had a chance to get to know each other at that time and haven't really taken the time up until this point. I have now spent a total of 6 days together from October 2008 until now. Lana is a chiropractor as well and has an amazing family practice in Sonoma County, CA (wine country). Our lives parallel in so many ways that at one point I was thinking "this is twlight zone-ish". I mean our similarities stretch from life experiences to middle names to our passion for snowboarding to dog's names and the list truly goes on and on. What I realize while raging on the mountain for 2 straight days with her by my side is that women need women. I have realized this in a few other circles in my life, one being the Cafe of LIFE Book Club, but that is a truly deep need. You see, I grew up with brothers, 3 of them to be exact, and because of this, I tend to have a lot of guy friends. I just know how to easily relate to guys and the way they think, etc, because of how I was raised. I was also a tomboy and had to continue to bust a move to keep up with them. As the years have passed, I have come to really appreciate the powerful connections I have made with some really strong women. There is a certain re-fueling that happens for me when I am around other women that does not happen anywhere else. And it isnt about gossip or gossipping or anything like that. It is mostly the fact that women have a way of looking at the world that is different than men. And it is not better or worse, just different and that difference is the refueling part. The conversations that I have had lately, with Lana, though many other, is that I have someone that stands shoulder to shoulder with me, shoulder to shoulder together to face the world and in those moments I feel like it is power in numbers. So I have never had a biological sister, but I want to say CHEERS! to you, my soul sisters!

No comments: