Tuesday, April 10, 2012

"YOU GET WHAT YOU NEED"

There is a song that runs through my mind lately, mostly because I have heard it so much on my Rusted Root Pandora Station (a highly recommended station, by the way), but also because after I hear it, my mind ponders the message for quite some time. It goes something like this...

"You can't always get what you want.
You can't always get what you want.
You can't always get what you want.
But if you try sometime...you just might find...
YOU GET WHAT YOU NEED!"

I have had some very interesting life lessons over the past years, as I am sure we all have. I have a strong conviction that although we are presented with most things that are WAY outside our control, by the use of gratitude and a strong focus on what we want, we are powerful creators of our lives and experiences. I also realize that sometimes the things that we think we want in our lives or experiences that we want to have happen, are very limiting in the grand scheme of things. There is a much bigger picture to this life than what we can actually see and grasp with our thoughts.

Have you ever sat down and wrote out goals? made a "to do" list? Have you ever thought about what you would like to have happen in 5 years? 10 years? Have you ever quieted down your life enough and heard things come from inside that sounded like "I want a new job." "I want to make more money." "I want to be in a relationship." "I want to be in a different relationship." "I want a new house." "I want a new car." "I want to win the Mega-Millions." Does any of that sound familiar?

What LIFE has taught me is that what we call our "wants" are very limiting. If ALL and ONLY our wants came to fruition, we would live a small life. Now, when I say small, I don't mean that in a negative way, more the idea that it would be limiting, like looking over a lake and seeing that as the only possibility of a large body of water without having any concept of the ocean.

Having a direction and steering life with GRATITUDE can open up limitless possibilities. Our "wants" are one thing...but what happens if you don't get what you "want"? I have a strong faith in the concept that LIFE sends the perfect people, things and experiences to us in the perfect timing in order for us to maximize our potential for learning, growth and evolution. In the moment, it may be very difficult to see the perfection...but most of you have probably experienced that in retrospect it was exactly what you needed. So in other words it is true that..."YOU CAN"T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU...but you just might find YOU GET WHAT YOU NEED!" Be open to the amazing twists and turns of LIFE, take some risks and get outside of your box of "wants"...we only get one chance.

No comments: