Thursday, December 1, 2011

SUPER HERO CHRISTMAS

Last night I bought a wimpy Christmas tree. I say wimpy because it is only an 7 foot tree and looks so small. Over the last few years, I have been used to my 20+ foot ceilings and I would get 10+ foot trees because I had just the perfect spot. This year I am back to standard 8 foot ceilings and that is very limiting outside of cutting a hole in the ceiling. One of our favorite couples came into the Cafe this morning and I got laughing so hard as I was reminded me of a Christmas tree incident that happened last year. It goes something like this...

I cannot remember exactly what the evening consisted of, however I know that there was some sort of drama involved that left me feeling a little "run over". I remember pulling into my garage after midnight with a distressed feeling and ready to go to bed and start the next day new. I walked into my house, set my keys down, kicked off my shoes and was heading upstairs when I noticed that my 12 foot Christmas tree had taken a tumble and many ornaments were smashed on the floor. "Where is that dog?!?!" ...oh, right, he is still in his kennel being a good boy. There weren't any earthquakes so the only one I could blame it on was the little physics wizard inside of me that was on vacation when I put it into the tree stand...apparently off balance. Then my inner comedian chimed in with "If a 12 foot Christmas tree falls in a living room and no one is around, does it make a sound?"

I quickly accepted the destruction and decided since it was already after midnight and nobody is around to help...this is the PERFECT time to remedy the situation. So with one big heave, I was able to get it mostly upright...well upright as long as I was holding it there...but if I was holding it, who is going to re-do the screws in the tree stand so that it won't tip over again????? BRILLIANT ERICA!!!! Your SUPERWOMAN complex is really getting you into trouble this time around!!! So next decision to make was... 1. Let the tree fall again and go out on a limb and ask for help tomorrow, or... 2. Be grateful for long arms and find some of that SUPERHERO strength and somehow make it happen. Let's put it this way...you all know which one I chose (I mean really, if you have been following this blog at all, you know me quite well), I dove in waist deep in pine needles, it was a dumb idea, and I was sore for days!!! ...and if you do know me, I am sure you can get the visual and have probably let out a chuckle and the ridiculous-ness.

Moral of the story...if you are one person, don't try to do a two-person job! Learn to ask for help when it is appropriate because helping others is human nature and if you ask, I can guarantee someone will step in and be glad to. Running my chiropractic office, I have people coming in all the time because they tried to do a two-person job on their own. Learn from my mistakes...or just buy smaller Christmas trees!!! 'Tis the Season!!!

No comments: