Wednesday, June 22, 2011

DON'T THINK ABOUT IT, JUST JUMP IN!!!

As the days go on, my love for swimming grows and grows. I feel like I have to get my "swimming fix" on a daily basis now. I pull into my parents house, walk down their gazillion steps to the water, set my stuff down, put my hair up, put my goggles on, walk to the end of the dock and jump right in. I used to be plagued with that silly "the-water-is-too-cold" syndrome. I would sit at the end of the dock and contemplate how cold it was going to be, how bad that was going to feel, how yucky that shock to my system feels, how much of a hassle my hair was going to be once it gets wet (I do not have the "wash and go" type of hair), how much mascara was going to be running down my cheeks and a number of other things. Half the time I could convince myself to jump in and the other half of the time I would try to walk away or dodge my brothers or step-dad trying to push me in.

A lot has changed lately and the ability to just "jump in" that lake is a HUGE deal for me...and you know me, the message doesn't stop there. I have been thinking about how that "don't think about it, just jump in" message is applicable in my life. Everyone has heard the phrase "analysis paralysis" and how we can literally think ourselves out of just about anything. Taking too long to make a decision, can result in not deciding at all. Analysis paralysis is not my norm, however I do fall prey to it at times. I have been using this (almost) daily jump in the water to help me with some of that stuff that holds me back in the background of my life. I will continue to do that and maybe even be a little more deliberate about what the jump really represents for me on that particular day, during that particular week or maybe in a particular situation...a metaphor for life.

When I jump, that first instant when I am all the way underwater, goggles on and I open my eyes...is really, really special to me. Bubbles fill my visual field, often I see my mom or step dad's legs kicking as they begin their swim, I feel the freshness of the crisp water engulf my body, sometimes I see weeds but the picture that sticks with me are the rays of sunlight as they light up the underwater world. It is so beautiful what happens to the sunbeams as they pass through the surface of the lake. I do not think I am poetic enough with my words to do any justice to this picture. Maybe you need to go try it for yourself...and when you get to the dock, or the shore or the pool edge, DON'T THINK ABOUT IT, JUST JUMP IN!!! ...since we only get one chance.