Tuesday, May 17, 2011

DUCKS GONE MAD

This morning I pulled into the parking lot at the Cafe of LIFE to a very disturbing sight. There were 4 male ducks surrounding a dead female duck at the back corner of the building. There were feathers everywhere and fresh blood on her neck. The four male ducks moved away from the female as I approached and it seemed as though they were the culprit. For the next hour, these 4 male ducks squawked and screamed at all windows of the Cafe, from the front to the back, they paced around the building. In fact, as I sit here right now, they are all still swimming under the tree in the river right behind the building. They get out, beat each other up a bit, get back in the river and start it all over again. It is rather disturbing actually. I do not want to have "killer ducks" at the Cafe of LIFE!!!

OK, so I realize that i am being a little dramatic, however I have such a respect for all things that are alive that it was just so disturbing. I also know that during mating season, things can get a little hectic around the duck relationships and maybe this behavior is completely normal, I don't know. I guess bottom line is I am grateful that humans don't treat each other that way...or at least for the most part. I think we all could use a little sunshine and warm temps. Maybe that will help them cool their jets a little bit.

1 comment:

Gerri said...

Oh my gosh!!! I have never heard anything like that before, crazy. Yes, I agree, I hope the warmer temps cool them a bit. ;)