Tuesday, April 14, 2009

VITALISM


As a Doctor of Chiropractic, I am required to get so many continuing education credits each year in order to keep my license. There are a number of ways to do that though most of them include sitting in a classroom, which I am not very fond of. So if I am going to be required to sit for long periods of time, I better be listening to something good. Most chiropractors do local conventions to get the work out of the way as easy as possible, but I am not one to take the path of least resistance. This weekend I will travel down to Atlanta, GA to sit in on a conference about "Vitalism" at a place where they are having "The World's Greatest Conversations".
What is vitalism? Vitalism is the doctrine that all the functions of a living organism are due to an unknown vital principle distinct from all chemical and physical forces.
This simply means that we are more than what we see. There is a life force that controls the body and orchestrates all of its activities. This vital force is what is present a living human being and absent at death. Because chiropractic is based on a vitalistic philosophy (the body is self-healing, self-regulating, and adaptive), I work and teach those ideas everyday. The conference this weekend will have a number of different professions presenting on that same topic and that has me very interested. I will let you know...

No comments: